Chiropractic care is often thought of for treating neck and back pain. While chiropractors do help a lot of people who have neck and back pain, our focus is on reducing and removing any interference on the nervous system that runs down and out the spine to enable it to function its best. Since the nervous system controls everything in the body, chiropractic care has helped those who suffer from Meniere’s Disease.
What is Meniere’s Disease?
Meniere’s Disease is a disorder that affects the inner ear. Though the exact cause is unclear, some research suggests an abnormal amount of endolymph in the ear as the contributing factor. While the inner ear is responsible for hearing and balance, Meniere’s Disease causes symptoms of vertigo, the sensation of spinning, and can lead to hearing problems such as a ringing in the ears. Typically, the disease affects only one ear and is more common for patients in their 40s and 50s.
Although the disease is chronic, treatments and lifestyle changes can alleviate symptoms, and many patients go into remission within a few years of diagnosis.
What are the symptoms of Meniere’s Disease?
Symptoms of the disorder typically occur as “episodes” or “attacks” and include:
- Loss of balance
- Vertigo lasting for a few minutes or up to 24 hours
- Nausea, vomiting, and sweating caused by severe vertigo
- Tinnitus, or ringing, in the affected ear
- Aural fullness, or the feeling that the ear is plugged
- Hearing loss in the affected ear
How can a chiropractor help with Meniere’s Disease?
- Treatments for Meniere’s Disease often include therapies, dietary changes, devices, and medication. Caring for patient’s nervous system through chiropractic treatments has also helped reduce the symptoms of Meniere’s Disease. This same proactive care has the potential to address the source of other symptoms the patient may be experiencing. Chiropractic treatments focus on:
- Restoring posture and balance: Meniere’s Disease can cause fluid to build up in the inner ear, impacting the delicate balance of the hair cells and signals that flow from your ear to the brain. A chiropractor can use adjustments to restore the muscular and fascial system to a more normal state. This in turn will decrease tension in the body and allow the body to move better, which can decrease dizziness and vertigo.
- Improving nervous system communications: Chiropractic adjustments focus on removing nerve interference, which can inhibit the body’s ability to communicate and heal properly. Meniere’s Disease can cause the nerves that control your balance, coordination, and posture to be thrown off, making your symptoms worse. However, a chiropractor can help you restore the proper flow of nervous system communications and therefore alleviate symptoms.
How can Hunt Spinal Care help?
If you suffer from Meniere’s Disease or similar symptoms, you can trust the care that our experienced team of chiropractors can provide. At Hunt Spinal Care, we offer a gentle hands-on approach and have helped minimize the symptoms of patients with Meniere’s Disease. You may not have to live with the debilitating effects of Meniere’s Disease – contact us online today or call us at (918) 459-0333 to learn more about how we can help you with Meniere’s Disease. We want you to enjoy life to the fullest! Don’t just survive, thrive.