Vertigo is the sensation of the world spinning around you, but you are standing or sitting still. Vertigo can cause jerky eye movements, cause loss of balance, and make you nauseous. A University of California San Francisco Health study found that almost 40 percent of us will be affected by vertigo at some point in our lives.
The good news is that chiropractic treatments were found to provide some relief from vertigo symptoms in a feasibility study published by the Journal of Chiropractic Medicine. We have found this to be true for the majority of our patients as well.
Vertigo can be caused by:
- A head or neck injury
- A misalignment of your spine often related to your posture breaking down
- An inner ear Infection or other conditions affecting the inner ear
- A sensation of movement caused by crystals in your inner ear that can dislodge and interfere with fluid movement – Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo (BPPV)
- Something that you eat or drink that affects the nervous system.
- A disease that includes vertigo along with ringing in your ears, hearing loss, and a feeling of fullness in your ear.
- The cause is unclear, but believed to be related to an abnormal amount of fluid in the inner ear
Do you or someone you know suffer from vertigo or Meniere’s? We offer a gentle and natural chiropractic treatment without the use of medication that may provide the relief that you need.
For more information or to request an appointment, call us today at (918) 459-0333.
1 “Vertigo.” Ucsfhealth.org, https://www.ucsfhealth.org/conditions/vertigo.
2 Strunk, Richard G, and Cheryl Hawk. “Effects of chiropractic care on dizziness, neck pain, and balance: a single-group, preexperimental, feasibility study.” Journal of chiropractic medicine vol. 8,4 (2009): 156-64. doi:10.1016/j.jcm.2009.08.002
3 “Meniere’s Disease.” Mayo Clinic, Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research, 2 Dec. 2020, https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/menieres-disease/symptoms-causes/syc-20374910.